Ardtara Wine List
Ardtara has a rich and extensive wine list that will quench and satisfy any pallette. Couple a bottle with a wonderful meal or just sit back in one of our lounges and enjoy a glass with a book or good conversation. Relax & enjoy yoursef in one of the finest Derry restaurants.
ARDTARA'S HIGHLY RECOMMENDED WINES
Local man, Charles Simpson, after a successful career in IT, bought Domaine St Rose vineyard in the Languedoc near Nimes, France. After some years of trial and error, the wines are superb, complex with great fruit and structure.
1. Le Coq D'Oc Chardonnay, Domaine Sainte Rose, France, Easy drinking and approachable, deliciously barrel fermented chardonnay with sauvignon blanc blended in. Fresh fruit and soft vanilla flavour.
2. Le Mistral Merlot, Domaine de Sainte Rose, France Black fruit, vanilla and chocolate aromas with good structure, soft ripe tannins and excellent length.
3. Lo Tengo Malbec, Argentina A full, rounded red with ripe fruit, spice and liquorice flavours.
4. Artazuri Garnacha, Artadi, Navarra, Spain
Copious quantities of sweet black cherry and raspberry fruit. Medium to full bodied, ripe style with good definition.
5. Reach Shiraz Best’s Estate, Victoria, Australia Lifted peppery red berry fruit aromas and flavours that mark Australia's signature red variety.
6. Aroma Merlot, Chile
Full bodied with almost opaque colour the wine is full of sweet peach and blackberry with under-lying vanilla and liquorice spice to give a well-rounded glass of wine.
7. Esprit de Nijinsky Cabernet/Sauvignon, Provence, Coteaux du Verdon, France
Well rounded wine stuffed with ripe bramble fruit and nuances of thyme and rosemary.
8. Montepulciano d’Abruzzo Unmani Ronchi, Italy
A complex mix of cherry and earthy flavours with fine tannins, fresh acidity and a refreshing finish.
9. Stormy Cape Chenin Blanc, South Africa
Crisp, medium bodied, lemony off-dry wine with honeyed citrus fruit.
10. Reach Chardonnay, Best’s Estate, Victoria, Australia A Medium bodied, fresh chardonnay with flavours of melon and tropical fruit.
11. Viña Casablanca Sauvignon Blanc, Chile Ripe gooseberry and tropical fruits with zesty flavours and a long dry finish.
12. Renideo Pinot Grigio, Veneto, Italy
Clean, crisp and dry with good minerally fruit, hints of pear and racy, steely acidity.
13. Spirit of Nijinsky Chardonnay,Provence, Portes de la Méditerranée, France Subtle tropical notes with floral elements, round and soft on the palate with a hint of mineral on the finish.
14. Hecht & Bannier Cote de Thau, France "Bright watermelon colour and a sweet nose of wild strawberries. Dry and clean, leaving a crisp and refreshing sensation on the finish." Catherine Granger Manage Your Cellar
15. Château Vignelaure Coteaux d’Aix en Provence
David O'Brien and his team have produced a wine that is plump, elegant, gently oaky and harmonious with lots of personality and sophistication.
*Silver Medal at Decanter World Wine Awards
16. Château Manoir de Gravoux,
Côtes du Castillon
90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc. Very fine wine with great fruit character and elegant tannins.
17. Château Peyroutas Grand Cru, St Emillion An elegant nose of small red berry fruit opening into ginger spice with supple tannins and mineral on the finish.
18. Château St Jacques Pomerol Aromas of dark berry fruit. Smooth with great depth of flavour and complexity.
19. Fleurie Classic, Château de Beauregard
Plenty of fresh, fleshy strawberry and cherry fruits abound, a seriously elegant Fleurie.
20. Gevrey Chambertin, Domaine Esmonin
A pure, elegant Gevrey. Medium-bodied and bursting with fresh cherry, berry and earth notes. Concentrated, with a sense of refinement. Excellent length, with fine tannins.
21. Cairanne Côtes du Rhone Villages, Domaine L’Ameillaud
Notes of blackcurrant on the nose laced with hints of raspberry. On the palate the wine is well structured with great depth and complexity.
22. Châteauneuf-du-Pape Domaine La Roquete, Vignobles Brunier
Elegant with sweet kirsh liqueur intermixed with licorice, spring flowers and earthy notes.
23. Château Certan Girard, Pomerol
24. Volnay 1er Cru “Les Santenots”, Vincent Girardin
25. Conde de Valdemar Rioja Reserva, Martinez Bujanda, 2002
A rounded, smooth and oaky red with plenty of ripe raspberry and mulberry fruit.
26. Chianti Classico, Rocca delle Macìe, 2004
This is a delicious Chianti with the trademark flavours of black cherry and almond with a velvety texture and soft, mellow flavours.
27. Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Boscarelli, 2004
Structured and complex, with a lovely nose of dried herbs, leather, earth, vanilla and strawberry jam. Supple on the palate with plummy, flavourful fruit and silkly tannins.
28. Barolo Serralunga d’Alba, Fontanafredda, 2001
Lovely nose of tar, roses and new oak which follow through onto an elegant but big palate with firm, ripe tannins and a great length.
29. Madfish Pinot Noir, Howard Park, 2005
Strawberry scented with great depth, complexity and power and rich gamey flavours.
30. Killerman’s Run Shiraz, Kilikanoon, Clare Valley, Australia, 2004
Summer pudding flavours of plum and damson fruit with chocolate, baking spices and a delicious hint of French oak.
31. Hollick Shiraz/Cabernet, Coonawarra, 2004
Big, bold, soft and supple with hints of oaky spice giving complex flavours of cassis, mulberry and black cherry tones.
32. Nimbus Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Vina Casablanca, 2004
Distinctive aromas and flavour of cassis with ripe, currant flavours and herb and ceder nuances.
33. Shafer Merlot, Napa, 2003
Aromatic, ripe fruit characters blended with small amounts of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc, adding complexity and texture.
34. Hochar, Chateau Musar, Bekka Valley, 2001
Soft tannins and good fruit with flavours of pepper, brambles and Christmas cake.
35. Porcupine Ridge Merlot, Cape of Good Hope, 2005
Mocha coffee and chocolate aromas with French oaking giving some perfumed aromtatics. Medium body with a lingering finish.
36. Chablis Domaine Bois d'Yver, 2005
Soft, youthful fruit with mineral notes and a crisp clean finish.
37. Pouilly Fuissé, Chateau de Beauregard, 2004
Very fresh, minerally and balanced, with a honeyed mid-palate and a fine finish of zesty grape.
38. Meursault Vielle Vignes, Vincent Girardin, 2005
A wine for pure self indulgence that is powerful and aromatic with sublime richness and marvelously long finish.
39. Domaine Bellevue Sauvignon Blanc, Touraine, 2006
Subtle aromas of grass and nettles with spritzy greengage and gooseberry fruit and a crisp, dry, aromatic finish.
40. Sancerre Andre Dezat, 2005
Clean, crisp and dry with good minerally fruit and racy, steely acidity.
41. Riesling Riquewihr Bott Geyl, Alsace, 2004
An intense, rich oily wine with a hint of kerosene. On the palate the rich fruit continues with that underlying oilyness so typical of Alsace Riesling.
42. Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatiéres, Vincent Girardin, 2004
43. Chateau Bouscaut Pessac Leognan, Graves, 2002
Highly concentrated with floral aromas, apricot and a long and complex finish.
44. Bernkasteler Kardinalsberg Riesling Spätlese, J& H Selbach, 2003
Off-dry, with racy, mineral acidity and plenty of lemony fruit leading to a long, dry finish.
45. Albariño Rias Baixas, Castro Martin, 2005
Highly aromatic with subtle, delicate aromas, including peach, jasmine and citrus fruits, beautifully balanced.
46. Gavi di Gavi Fontanafredda, 2006
Gavi with a bit of a difference! Delicate floral notes, crisp green apples and lemon fruit on a well balanced and fresh palate.
47. Pikes Pinot Grigio, Clare Valley, 2005/06
Flavours of peach with honeysuckle aromas and fresh mineral acidity.
48. Madfish Unwooded Chardonnay, 2005/06
A real stunner, unoaked with lemon flavours - a r efreshingly balanced wine. Wonderful!
49. Crawford River Riesling, 2005
Floral and aromatic with a distilled lime juice and passionfruit palate with great length and perfect acidity.
50. Howard Park Chardonnay, Margaret River, 2004
Ripe, with spicy, oaky flavours, toasted almond layers and good balance.
51 Forrest Estate Sauvignon Blanc, 2005/06
Flavours of blackcurrant leaf, elder flower, nettles, gooseberries and a subtle mineral quality all wrapped up in a clean, dry and very long finish.
52. Cloudy Bay Chardonnay, Marlborough, 2005
Fresh, white fleshed peach aromas integrated with more savoury toasty characters. Flavours of melon and grapefruit with spicy notes.
53. Saintsbury Chardonnay, 2004
A rich, heady and complex barrel fermented and lees- aged wine of great elegance.
54. Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay, Shafer, Napa, 2005
Abundance of flavour with honeysuckle, apricot and exotic tropical aromas are balanced by underlying acidity.
55. Falaris Hill Chardonnay, Vina Leyda, 2004/06
Aromas of exotic pineapple, peach and subtle vanilla. The palate is equally pleasing with a round, extended finish.
56. Porcupine Ridge Sauvignon Blanc, Cape of Good Hope, 2006
Subtle aromas of gooseberry and cut grass with fresh, zingy acidity and good length.
57. Brampton Unwooded Chardonnay, Stellenbosch, 2005/06
Medium bodied with aromas of tropical fruit and hints of white peach with great depth of flavour and length.
58. Chateau Vignelaure Rose La Source, Provence, 2005/6
Lovely ripe strawberry and delicate peach notes and just enough acidity to balance everything out. Try it alone or with food and you'll never look back. Medaille d'Or
59. Bouvet Saphir Brut N.V. Saumur, Loire, France
Big and beautiful, this is a full-flavoured Chenin Blanc redolent with the taste of ripe apples and pears laced with honey.
60. Pelorus Blanc de Blancs N.V. Cloudy Bay, New Zealand
Savoury flavours reminiscent of freshly toasted bread mingle with luscious creamy nuances to enhance the complex palate. The finish is crisp, clean and delicate with lingering nutty flavours.
61. Champagne Gosset Brabant Tradition N.V., Ay, Champagne, France
An elegant style, 75% Pinot Noir and 25% honeyed Chardonnay with hints of pear, apple, quince and anise and overtones of freshly baked bread.
62. Louis Roederer Brut NV Champagne, France
Rich, ripe and voluptuous with succulent but not quite bone dry fruit balanced by a thrilling, racy acidity.
63. Billecart-Salmon Blanc de Blancs
Wonderfully elegant and rife with lemon meringue pie, brioche and sherbet aromas on the nose. Crisp citrus fruit flavours and complex yeasty notes.
64. Billecart-Salmon Rosé NV
This is one of the best Rose Champagnes on the market. It has a delicate, elegant strawberry scented fruit, lemon and cream bubbles with a lingering finish.
65. Billecart-Salmon Brut NV (½ Bottle)
An elegant wine with ripe apple and pear fruit and a long lingering finish.
66. Billecart-Salmon Rosé NV (½ Bottle)
67. Fleurie, France
68. Casablanca Merlot, Chile
Ripe plum fruit erupts from the glass with hints of cherry. The palate is medium to full bodied with ripe, rounded, fresh fruit prevalent throughout.
69. Chablis Domaine Bois d'Yver, France
Soft, youthful fruit with mineral notes and a crisp clean finish.
70. Viña Casablanca Sauvignon Blanc,
Chile Ripe gooseberry and tropical fruits with zesty flavours and a long dry finish.
Back to top